Sunday, November 16, 2014

Bad Manners

Another week, another John Carpenter milestone with the kids. Movie night was The Thing and it was everything I hoped it would be. "It was suspense, a mystery, horror and gross!" After church today I learned the 9 year old had spoken about it with his Sunday school group... as well as his 'prayer' that I'd let him watch The Shining soon. Also... this was his artistic contribution to the class... Bad manners indeed.
Meanwhile, both boys can no longer count on me to help them with their homework, other than to give a little moral support. Not sure how early, or if I ever, peaked, but they've both clearly surpassed me in brainial pursuits. I would like to point out that I can still kick their butts in a straight up brawl. For a little while longer.

Recently read Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book to them, and both responded very enthusiastically to it. Thanks, Laura Benedict for the recommendation. Before that, we read The Shibboleth, John Hornor Jacobs' second chapter in the Incarcerrado trilogy. Looking forward to part 3 next year. Both boys have now read Rick Riordan's Olympians series (and the 10 year old chewed through the next series remarkably fast) and both are now taking on Suzanne Collins's Hunger Games books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment